Background of the Art School
The Tygerberg Art Centre is one of 9 Art Centres in the Western-Cape. The Centre was established in 1975. Initially the Art Centre was built where the Hugo Lambrechts music centre is based. After a fire that broke out, the Centre was relocated to the old Tygerberg High School and merged with the old “Education Center” as one. The entrance was then in Mc Intyre Street.
The first headmaster of the Art Centre was Mr. André Groenewald. After that, two other principals served in an acting position for a short period before a permanent principal was appointed.
The centres main purpose is to bring the creative side out of the school learners. An average of 15 schools in the surrounding suburbs who’s students attend the Art Centre on a regular basis. The learners visit the Art Centre twice a week in the afternoon for practical and theory classes.
Design and Visual Arts are the main two exam subjects the Art Centre offers. Visual Arts is a matriculation exemption subject. Learners can take this as a seventh or eighth school subject.
*Download PDF (4MB)
- Ceramics_4August 6, 2018
- fashion_and_textile_13August 7, 2018
- Ceramics_5August 7, 2018
- fashion_and_textile_1August 7, 2018
- fashion_and_textile_4August 7, 2018
- Ceramics_12August 7, 2018
- fashion_and_textile_6August 7, 2018
- Ceramics_7August 7, 2018
- fashion_and_textile_16August 7, 2018
- fashion_and_textile_17August 7, 2018
- Ceramics_3August 6, 2018
- fashion_and_textile_19August 7, 2018
The Art Centre Offers
- Smaller groups – individual attention and keeping individuality
- We specialize and focus on different practical disciplines, which offer a wider experience of specific subjects.
- Inspiring art environment
- Enriched experience – learners communicate with learners of other schools
- Studios are always accessible to learners.
- Wider choice of practical components in Design and Visual Art
- Experienced and dedicated teachers
- Learners are supported in all areas of development.
- Enough safe parking for parents.
Click here to view our learners Design projects and learn more about each subject.